Sunday, March 1, 2009

1968 - Candy Striper


I wasn't exactly a Candy Striper but I did do some nursing aid volunteer work in a residential facility for developmentally delayed children. Retarded was the word in those days. They were pretty challenging. I remember I was often in the baby ward. Think of those babies, really they were infants who were in residential care.

In those days, you wore the special uniform. I must have been going to some volunteer affair as I'm decked out in the white gloves (I hated HATED white gloves). I did wear that uniform when I worked. It was some distance away but I know that my mother took me and picked me up. Can't exactly say I enjoyed it, the children were pretty involved and difficult. Don't remember how long I did it.

Nobuko and me on the front step of the Wilhaggin home.

No comments: