Tuesday, January 19, 2010

1963 - Claire and Allen all dresssed up


My parents all dressed up in 1963. They're in their late 30s. They had a much more active social life that we do. Almost every weekend we had a babysitter in the evenings. They went to dinner dances, cocktail parties, bridge parties. I don't remember them entertaining that much but I'm sure they did their share. I think I remember that dress, I think it was white lace over a light blue under layer. My mom always had her 'hair done' every week at the beauty shop. Hard to imagine what that was all about.

She's likely wearing the nouveau diamond and pearl 'lavolier' that I have now. My grandmother received it as an engagement gift. I wore it on my wedding but doubt I would ever have the occasion to wear it again.

This picture was taken in our Arden Park house, they are standing in the living room. Who's poking their head over the coffee table? I'm thinking that's my sister who would have been 4 but doesn't really look like her. The twisted candle on the coffee table suggests that this could be around the holidays so maybe my parents were going to some Aerojet Christmas party. The rarely used double doors on the left with their "oriental" screens with butterflies; don't remember where they came from. The lace fan bahind them belonged to my great grandmother Delia. My mother had it framed and has always been so proud of it. It hangs in her living room to this day.

Who took the picture? Maybe it was me though it's doubtful that my father would have let me handle the camera. But maybe it was me, because I clearly remember this event.

No comments: