Friday, January 15, 2010

1989 - Disneyland


In 1989, in honor of their 40the anniversary (a year early) my parents arranged a family get together in Southern California. She always wanted to live in one of those beachfront townhouses on Newport Beach and she managed to lease a big one for the week.

Part of the festivities was a trip to Disneyland. This famous picture demonstrates 5 year old Susanna's enthusiasm for the whole idea. We're walking down Main Street. I'm not too concerned with Danny and Ilana (foreground holding Dennis and my hands); they'll stay close.

But Susanna, she's (as usual) ready to launch herself right into orbit. She's holding my brother's hand. His whole duty revolved around keeping track of her, a full time job.

Naomi was 3 months old at the time. She's back at the house, my parent's are taking care of her. But, that stubborn kid, she refused to take a bottle, despite my many efforts. So, the plan (which drove my father NUTS), the plan was for them to drive from Newport Beach to Anaheim at noon and meet me outside the gate so I could nurse her. My father was beside himself, not only was he going to have to deal with this breastfeeding nursing stuff but, he was going to have to PAY (and he NEVER liked to pay money), he was going to have to PAY for parking and then he wasn't even going to get to PARK. HaRRUMPH! Pay for parking and not even park, just for this little baby who wouldn't take a bottle. Why didn't she beHAVE like she should?

My mother told him to get over it. So they brought the baby to me per the plan.

No comments: