Monday, February 4, 2008

1966 - Cocker spaniels and BIG rollers


This is definitely one for the blackmail file. That summer, Scotchy, our cocker spaniel, insisted on tangling it up with a skunk that lived in the neighborhood (a lot more empty lots at that time). The skunk would apparently come in or close to the yard, bait the dog, the dog would go nuts with barking and the skunk would let him have it. Repeatedly. So the dog always smelled. For some reason, we believed that the only way to get rid of the smell was to bathe the dog with tomato juice. Any truth to this? I have no idea. But we dutifully did this.

That summer, my cousin stayed with use for awhile and here we are doing the deed. Yup, that's me with the orange juice can rollers in my hair with the hairnet.

The question needs to be raised. Did any of this setting of hair and pins and uncomfortable sleeping ever work on my baby thin hair? No, it never did. My hair has no body whatsoever and never took a set or did anything other than lie dankly close to my head. My whole life. Even now. That, however, did not stop me from trying with adolescent determination.

1 comment:

Oreo said...

Still one only ways to nutrialize the evil smell to this day. At least it is the cheepest.

I think this was one of the only knuckle-head things Scotchy ever did. At least - that he did, again and again and again. I seem to remember the only thing we could not control, once we started the process is when he shook and got us all soaked with water-tomatoe juice stink.

The things we do for the ones we love!