Thursday, February 21, 2008

1967 I made that dress


When I was in middle and high school, sewing your own clothes was considered very desirable for girls. Everybody should learn to sew because, if you could sew, you could make just about anything you want for a fraction of the cost. Very sensible, virtuous and accomplished if you could sew.

My mother could knit but not sew very well but she was keen that I should learn to sew. Unfortunately I have very poor fine motor coordination and spatial skills. And I wasn't ALL that interested in clothes. My mother really encouraged me, incentives. But I didn't like all the detail work, I was not very good at visualizing the product, it never came out right and I was generally lousy at it.

What I wanted in the 9th grade was colored shoes. Everybody wore colored shoes with nylons (what WERE we thinking?). In those days, girls had to wear dresses (ditto). My mother said that if I made a dress, she would buy me colored shoes to go with it. Not the desired capezios, of course, but colored shoes.

So here's the dress, an A-line dress of a green floral print. And, if you look real close, you can see that I am wearing the promised yellow shoes to go with it. Like everything I made, it didn't fit right and I soon abandoned the whole idea.

Never to be taken up again, I still don't do hand or craft work.

Pam in front of me, I think she's wearing a costume for a dance or gymnastics recital. I don't know what the orange thing is.

1 comment:

Oreo said...

The Orange Thing:
I was in Mrs. Pearson's creative dance class. We were dancing with some kind of stools. On top, under, over, next to etc. The first one I had was a step stool that closed on top of me one day. Mom and Dad bought an unfinished wood stool which Dad cut short and of course painted. What other color would I have wanted except Orange? I am laying on top of it with one foot in the air.