Monday, November 5, 2007

1963 - In my grandparent's back yard


I can't imagine my grandparents were very comfortable with this whole situation but we are visiting. I think they might have invited some children in the neighborhood to come over. Probably Pam in that great running shot. Maybe Charlie coming out the back door. My mother is sitting in the chair with my grandmother behind her. My grandfather is looking aghast at the whole situation. He loved us, really he did. As long as we were quiet. I had a very special relationship with my grandfather. I was the first grandchild and his favorite for the rest of his life. I was perfect; he loved me unconditionally in his stern uncompromising way.

1 comment:

Oreo said...

If we had all that spunk . . . . the outside was the best place for us! I don't remember Grtandma and Grandpa's homes ever being 'child friendly'. I imagine we had to be on our "best behaviior" in that house. So Getting outside to run was probably welcomed my Mom and us!

Grandpa's stance, with arms on his back, looks very familiar. Can't see his face but I could just imagine his concerned-but-happy look on his face. Can't you hear him say . . . .

"BETTY, What are those children DOING?"