Monday, November 12, 2007

1964 - Pam and Father on the beach


Pam and Father on the same beach outing. This is the pier a bit north of Rio Del Mar beach. The cement boat at the end of pier is clearly visible. The US Palo Alto, one of the few cement boats, tanker for us in WW I. But I don't know why it ended up here. I think it was closed up by the time we got there. Pam was concerned that we would hang out by the supporting poles but I don't know what would be bad about that. It wasn't our regular beach and I'm not sure of the attraction. But Aptos is a beautiful area and I can understand why our parents came there. Pam has the patch on in this picture.

1 comment:

Oreo said...

I remeber that when we walked out on to the beach, the sunken boat was always off to the right. It was way off . . . . . but still visable. That is where Father and Charlie would go fishing. I remember we would always go there at least once during our vacation Usually in the evening and it always smelled like fish. Always remember looking into peoples buckets to see what they caught. It was so high off the water and we would walk all the way to the end where the boat met the pier. But could not go on the boat! The boat was a great mystery.

I would imagine that the wood supports could do some real damage if you got washed against them. Swimming was most likely not allowed with in so many feet of the pier. It was vacation I am sure Mom and Dad did not want to worry about any of us wandering too close.