Sunday, September 30, 2007

1961 - Trip to Disneyland



Here's Sandy and Charlie with Father in 1961 in Tomorrowland at Disneyland. Likely this was my father's favorite place, seems appropriate that he would pose in front of Rocket Ship to Mars. I remember the outfit, there was a plaid applique cat on the top that matched the shorts

The next shot shows us in front of one of the eating areas in Tomorrowland, must be early in the morning, the shadows are long and the place is empty but immaculate. My parents would be one to get there just as it opened. Think Charlie is a bit excited at being there?

It was customary to buy your children hats. I had that hat for a long long time, it had my name embroidered on it. When I was in 6th grade, I contested a math problem with my math teacher. I was sure I was right, finally he said in exasperation "If you are right, I'll eat your hat". I was right, I knew it. So, the next day, I brought this purple felt hat with the Loooooong pink feather and presented it as his next meal. Uh oh, this guy knew he was in trouble, what was he thinking about that problem? So, the next day he returned my hat and drew elaborate diagrams on the board of his digestive system with a detailed explanation about why exactly he could not eat the purple felt hat with the pink feather. And he gave us all candy bars instead. I was kind of a shy kid but I was a hero that day.

No comments: