Friday, September 7, 2007

1962 - Aptos


For several years, my family spent a week every summer in Aptos, a small beach community on Monterey Bay between Santa Cruz and Monterey, California. We rented a series of small vacation homes near the beach near Rio Del Mar beach. My favorite house was this one, right across from street from the beach. A quiet State Park beach at that time, with great surf and not too much development, you could walk the beach at sunset (my mother's favorite).

Definitely 1962 in California. Check out the cars in the parking lot and the signature bright light. Easy to get to the beach, just across the low brick wall.

Us and the Beittel kids again. They might have rented a house there also. All six kids probably eating lunch at the picnic table. On one side, I'm in between, Lynn and June, likely acting as the superior big sister. Squirrely Charlie, Mark and Pam (always looks so small) on the other side. Noontime, look at the shadow, we will likely be at the beach in the afternoon.

A welcome change from the unrelenting summertime heat in Sacramento. Sometimes it was foggy or windy there. I loved the area even then, grateful that I could attend college right nearby. The palm trees suggests Southern California but...

You can expect many pictures of Aptos in this series. Wonder what this prime piece of California real estate looks like now. Not likely to have a modest vacation rental on this corner!

2 comments:

Oreo said...

Funny I don't remember Aptos having palm tree's. But now that I look at that picture . . .it looks right. We look like quit of bunch sitting there. Remember thinking that Aptos was OUR beach and you didn't go on vacation anywhere else.

azure said...

I didn't remember palm trees either!