Saturday, December 15, 2007

1965 - The redecorated living room


When we moved into the Wilhaggin home in 1964, my mother used an 'interior decorator' to buy new furniture for the living room. French Provincial or some such. The mural on the far wall was all the rage, not sure what it was supposed to be with it's turquoise and olive green hues. Actually there was a nice new dining room set that would eventually be in that far part of the room in front of the mural. With a china cupboard which will go against that bare wall on the left.

Actually, I am quite fond of these pieces, I liked the colors and the marble top tables. My mother still has a lot of these pieces in her overcrowded living room in Wesley Willows. The couch has been re-upholstered http://azure-turquoise.blogspot.com/2007/10/photoessay-157-my-son-and-rabbi.html. You can also see the round marble table in that picture over 40 years later. My mother still has the bronze dragon candlesticks and, of course, the gold watch from my great grandfather (Charles Weil)

The ensemble pretty new and raw in this picture, not everything is in place. Despite its dated colors and its audacity, I was quite impressed with the whole getup. My grandparent's baby grand piano would eventually be in the upper left.

My mother's living room was quite the deal.

1 comment:

Oreo said...

I remember this room in later years with the dining room table and piano. I had forgotten about that wall. We were NOT encouraged to go in there and I remember it being for speical occasions. Mom sat there sometimes to knit and watch us in the front yard. Mostly, I remember sitting at the piano and having formal dinners in the dinning room. Passover being the most frequent. A "no touch" room if there ever was one!