Wednesday, August 15, 2007

1950 - Edward Cohen Mortgages


The only picture I have of my great grandfather Edward Cohen, Grandma's father. I'm guessing on the date., maybe it's earlier. I think that he might have seen me as a baby. Some unsubstantiated facts, that he owned considerable property in Cambridge, that he gave Hillel House to Harvard, that he purchased homes for each of his daughters when they married. In Betty's family, there were three daughters and then three sons. Betty was the third daughter and she bemoaned that fact all her life "Who needs a third daughter?" she would say but I believe that she was her father's favorite. He purchased a $500 Israeli savings bond for myself and my brother. Not for my sister as she was born after his death. My father converted it to a $1000 US savings bond in 1964. I still have that bond, keeping it for that rainy day.

No comments: