Thursday, August 30, 2007

1962 - Ginsburgh girl scouts


Mom in her girl scout leader's uniform and I'm a Brownie and Pam...she's a toddler. Mom was the girl scout leader, she was completely committed and me, Sandy, I could never see much in it. To me, scouting could not compare with the library. I endured the activities, I wanted to get back to read my books.

My mother made a deal with the parents regarding my younger sister. She agreed to be the troop leader but she was not going to arrange babysitting. Every parent had to agree to take their turn caring for 3 year old Pam during the meetings, there was a signup sheet. Some parents came over, some couldn't be bothered and hired a babysitter to come to the house. As a result, my sister knew lots and lots of moms and had homes all over the neighborhood.

But my mother was proud to have us in our uniforms. Look how thin she was around the waist, wow. Hated that one piece uniform, kind of scratchy and uncomfortable.

Ironically my two younger daughters are completely committed scouts. I never pushed it, they could be a girl scout if they wanted, I guess. At ages 17 and 21, they just returned from a summer as staff members at the local girl scout camp. Ilana is president of Campus Girl Scouts. It's just natural for them. Heredity, I am sure.

Picture is in the Arden Park home backyard. You can see the back of the workshop, I think there were some storage cabinets. The vista is so open, over the fence and off into valley, sun baked semi-arid land. I think landscaping and irrigation has changed the landscape for now.

3 comments:

Oreo said...

I don't remember going to all those different places. I imagine most of the time I was trying to watch you girls. Could have been that I had no clue what was going on. I remember being impressed that Mom was a leader and that you thought it was a 'pain'. I remember being proud that Mom ws my leader as a Brownie but also I thought it was a drag because I couldn't get away with anything.

I remember the shop being a free standing building and when we moved to Exmoor . . . .that we had a shed instead of a complete building.

azure said...

I was just remembering that story about the babysitting. You were so young during 1962, it's amazing that you remember as much as you do.

All of the moms signed up to take care of you and I remember that they all liked you. Pretty smart trade, they had to babysit a few times a year and they got a good girl scout leader.

I think that the workshop on Los Molinos was really overkill. I think they built it but it wasn't used that much. Must have cost a fortune, can you imagine building a free-standing building like that?

sarahrachael said...

The yard went on forever and ever. That tree was a flowering plum tree. I even made plum jam. The free-standing building was Grandpa's workshop with LOTS of storage space. He made all the shelves and cabinents in the workshop.

Pam and the babysitters.... The first year of the brownie troop, Pam was just 3 months old. The moms were all delighted to play with the baby.