Wednesday, August 29, 2007

1962 - Pam in the blossoms


Three year old Pam underneath the plum tree in the backyard. This tree was fruit-bearing (I think), I remember lots of little plums. Characteristically bright California sunlight even though the season is spring. The sandbox in the background was heavily used by children and cats. The toy wheelbarrow looks pretty new. You can see the partial fence out to the swingset. I don't know if my parents built that fence. Having just arranged for various fencing to be replaced, I know how expensive it is! The concrete area to the left of Pam looked like a small driveway that came out of the back of the garage. Maybe somebody used it as a storage place for a boat. But how would you get a vehicle out of there? I don't remember any doors in the back of the garage, maybe there was. That paved area was a mystery to me. A driveway to nowhere?

Nice smile for Pam, you can kind of see the curls. Glasses but no patch. The more I look at these pictures (of myself), the more I recognize the viewpoint of the child looking out.

My main memory of this tree is reading to Scotchy. When I learned to read, I was SO excited about it. No way, Mom had time or patience to listen to me read (and I wanted to read a LOT). So she sat me down with the dog under this tree and I used to read to the cocker spaniel. Everybody was happy except for the impatient dog.

4 comments:

Oreo said...

I do not remember the tree in the picture. I remember the back drive and that it was on a hill. The back of the garage was higher and the drive decended down past the back workshop. I don't remember Scotchy pushing his tennis balls down the drive but I remember them all lined up at the bottom where the drive ended and the grass started.

At this time in my life I think I am handicapped in my memory. I had a patch on my good eye part of the time. The bad eye never did improve (I am told). But things were VERY blurry for the "patched" part of my days.

azure said...

I have a picture of you with the patch from 1961. There's always a tradeoff with intervention.

That's a good one about Scotchy and lining up the tennis balls. I had forgotten about that

Oreo said...

The story goes that he use to laydown at the top of the drive with a tennis ball in his mouth. Must have gotten tired once and put it down on his front paws. I would guess he pushed it in front of himself so he could lay his head down and that started the ball off and traveled all the way down to the end. His own game!

sarahrachael said...

Yes, that was Scotchy's game! Pam and the glasses........ She was patched for 6 hours and not patched for the same amount of time. It was on and off, so thats why some pictures show her with it, and others do not. Sometimes she was patched for 3 weeks, and off for 3 weeks. We did all sorts of patching when she was little.

There was a garage door in the back of the garage so cars could go through.