Tuesday, August 14, 2007

1952 - Claire with baby Sandy


Claire with baby Sandy. I'm not very old there, maybe 3 months old? That would be July which goes with the shorts. Claire is looking good, not yet 30, pretty with lipstick. Proud. Maybe in Oak Ridge? As always, I can get nothing from the baby even though it's me!

Edit: My (the baby's) gaze. Something tells me that this baby (me) is looking at the world the way I do now. Critically, observant, wanting to know everything that's going on. Why should it be different?

Eventually I'm going to run into the picture taken in 1958(?), I've just finished kindergarten and we are visiting on the east coast. There's a group picture and my uncle (David?) has a time release on his camera. He sets up the camera and then runs and gets into the picture. I remember it so clearly. I thought that was the smartest thing I had ever seen, how clever to be able to be in a picture that you yourself are taking. I marveled at the ingenuity. I remember clearly how I (the six year old) thought.

3 comments:

Oreo said...

Mother with a side part. Looks pretty good for being Mom to an infant. Did she have Nanny come to help her with Sandy? She did with Charlie and I when we were infants. They paid for air flight and figured it was just as expensive than paying someone to help. FAther took no time out for infants.

azure said...

I'm sure that Nanny did come out when I was born....but Malcolm was born just after so I don't know. We can ask mom.

sarahrachael said...

Nanny came out and stayed a week... then she returned to the East Coast to welcome Malcom.